Saturday, May 10, 2014

Evangelism Excursions

 
Between the end of November and the middle of January four areas of Sierra Leone were visited for Evangelism. (Kenema, Lunsar, Freetown, Foya and the surrounding villages) Each stop we made was a blessing and Bro. Stephen thought it would be good to visit some of those areas again. In April, we visited Foya and Lunsar, and the first week of May, we headed out to Kenema. It would be impossible to give all the details about those trips, so below are some highlights from those Evangelism Excursions!

Foya and beyond

  On this excursion to Foya Bro. Stephen chose to drive the truck up a very rough and rocky hill. We were able to drive up in one hour, which happens to be the same amount of time it takes to walk the hill. In fact, there was a woman at the bottom of the hill who asked us for a ride, she was refused due to the lack of room, but she made it into Foya walking in the same amount of time it took us to drive in!

During our three-day stay, we visited 3 villages that we were not able to visit last time. They were Kangahun, Njaubla and Keima.

    In the village of Kangahun, Bro. Stephen was presenting the Gospel and answering questions. While he was engaged in that, I was taking pictures and entertaining some kids. There was one boy, his name was Foday, he knew I did not speak Mende, but he would rattle away at me in Mende and then expect me to answer. I would just laugh at him. His is one of those faces that I do not think I will ever forget!

    There is always plenty of time waiting to find out what we are supposed to do next around here! One day I got bored waiting, so I fished a rubber ball out of my bag and proceeded to play with the ever present throng of kids. (I now perfectly understand the meaning of the word thronged - Mark 5:24 And Jesus went with him; and much people followed him, and thronged him.) Typically, when I play ball with the kids we play in a field, but on this day a field was not available so the middle of the village had to work. The older spectators enjoyed watching, even when the kids raced into the cooking and working areas to chase the ball.

  On the 2nd day of our excursion, we walked to some outlying villages. Two things really stand out in my mind from that day.

1.      I was teamed up with Michael and David and we visited the village of Kemia. In this village, we introduced ourselves and explained why we were there. When we were finished an older man spoke up, he said, “Jesus saved me from my sins.” That was amazing to hear. You must understand that people usually say they “have the faith” or something similar. This was the first time I had heard anyone mention Jesus, Saved and Sin in the same Sentence!

2.      There is nothing spiritual at all about this second thing, but I thought it was neat. While going from one village to another, we came upon the river! This part of the river was narrow, but quite deep and the local people have made a ferry to go across. The ferry consists of six ten foot boards lashed together. Spanning the river overhead is a rope. You board the um, boards, one person pulls on the rope and you begin across. However while you are in mid-river the person pulling swings the ferry 360 degrees then lands you on the other side! That was fun!
 
We were in Foya on a Sunday and I was able to teach a Bible class, with Michael as my assistant! Most of the older kids understood “My” Krio, but after I finished teaching Michael reviewed in Mende.  There were probably 40-50 kids in attendance, I had a great time and they seemed to as well!

Lunsar

   If you have ever been on a missions trip you understand all about “downtime”, if not you will just have to take my word for it that downtime can be very funny! And such was the case on this trip to Lunsar. Alfred, Moses, Michael and John (Aka the Baomahun Boys) were the members of the crew this trip and with those four together anything can happen. Such as a good-natured argument over biscuits! Which lasted for 2 days and long after the biscuits were gone! But also during our downtime one morning the guys grabbed the hymnbooks out of the truck and we spent a long time just singing hymns!! It was a blessing!

   Lunsar is dominated by the Muslims and the Catholics, during our time on the street many people would say they were Christian, but when asked what Church they attended they said the Catholic Church. Lunsar is in Temne territory and there is a wide difference in thought between the Temne and the Mende. We were able to have some very good and lengthy conversations with people in this city.

   Michael and I teamed up with Abraham and Margret, two young people from the Church in Lunsar. Sadly, they do not know much, but they took instruction from Michael well and seemed to learn some things. They went out with us one afternoon and I was pleasantly surprised with they returned the next day to go on evangelism with us again!!
                     
 

Kenema

  We spent 3 days in Kenema doing Evangelism each day and having services at night!

  On this trip, I was paired with Alfred and I was able to hear him preach. Our first afternoon on the streets of Kenema, Alfred and I begin talking with this man at his store. He is a Muslim but in looking for eternal life has investigated many religions. This man has more of the Bible memorized than I do and he is a Muslim! I was ashamed that I do not know more scripture! Alfred and I talked with this man for almost 2 hours, occasionally Alfred would look at me and just smile because we both knew the guy was wrong in his thoughts, but would not admit it! It is amazing to listen to Alfred talk, he knows the Bible well, in fact, he would put some American Christians to shame!

  On our last day in Kenema, a man mentioned to Alfred that we should so to the Prison and Evangelize there. We went but only to learn that the OC (Officer in Charge) was not there so we could not get permission to go in!

   I have heard about animalist behavior, but I have never really witnesses such behavior in people until this trip. Alfred and I, with a couple young men from the church, were passing out some Gospel of John booklets. Our intent was to only give them to people who could prove their ability to read. Good intentions do not work with a mob. The people see the “White girl” and suddenly people are swarming around me. Others see that the people are swarming so they join in the swarm with hands out stretched, in anything but a polite manner, grabbing for the booklets my hands contain. There is no room to move, no time to ask questions, no option but to quickly dispense what is in my hands so the crowd will leave! You will never have people in the States that eager to get a Gospel booklet, but in all honesty they were not that eager here. They saw “white” and thought, “I want.” They did not care if they were able to read what they grabbed, they just wanted it, Some even asked, “Where is mine?”  Then once my hands were empty, they turned full force on Alfred. Some already had a booklet in their hands, but they wanted more. I do not get mad often, but watching the people surrounding Alfred, not listening to what he is saying, but just sticking their hands in his face, that made me mad! It was an amazing scene to watch, but one I can do without partaking in again!

                                

We had a great time of Evangelism and fellowship during these three trips! Please pray that fruit would come from the many conversations that we had and the many tracts and booklets that were distributed!
Isaiah 55:9-11

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways,

and my thoughts than your thoughts.

For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven,

and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud,

that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth:

it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please,

and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

 

 In Sierra Leone, West Africa,

Aimée

No comments:

Post a Comment