Tuesday, March 4, 2014

March update


Julius
 
 
Ezekiel 3:6 says,

“….of an hard language, whose words thou canst not understand…..”

 

(Yes, I know I completely took this verse out of context.)

   Even before leaving the states, I was attempting to learn the languages of Sierra Leone. One thing I have learned on each mission’s trip I have taken, it is much easier for me to learn the language when I am in country, surrounded by the language. So, I would like to tell a little about the languages in Sierra Leone, because some of them are hard, and there are many words that I “Canst not understand!”

  There are roughly twenty tribal groups dispersed throughout Sierra Leone and each has their own language. The Northern most part of the country is the Temne stronghold, while the South is Mende land. Kind of like the Mason-Dixon Line in the states, things really change once you cross over that line into either section.

   While the “official” language of Sierra Leone, the main language is Krio (Sometimes spelled Creole) which is just a hodgepodge of words from throughout Africa.  Words from each of the tribes in the country have been incorporated into the Krio language. There are words from several different European languages also represented.

   Because of the many years of British control, a great number of the words have a British slant as to their meaning. Some of the words I have picked up on that are very British are “Padi” for friend, “Petrol” for gasoline, “Yonder” for over there, any vehicle is called a “motor car” and so forth.

There were some Portuguese words carried here by returned slaves such as “Pekin”, for child. Then there is “Yabas” Arabic for Onion and the French word “buku” for Many. I am sure there are more, but that is all I can think of at the moment.

   Now for Mende there are four types  or dialects of Mende, that each differ slightly in word meaning or sounds. Kind of like American English, in different parts of the country a can of Mountain Dew can be called Pop, coke, soda, etc.

    In Bo District, where Baomahun is located “Bah Mende” (Anything in quotations marks is very likely to be spelled wrong!!)  is spoken. Then there is “Sayway Mende”, “Ko Mende” (This one is in Kenema) and “Wanjahmah Mende”. The “Bah Mende” is the pure form of Mende and is the type you would find used to print books in Mende.

  Then for the Temne people there are three dialects of Temne, once again depending on what district you are traveling through. My informant only recalled two of the types, but is working on the third name. So, there is “Konofe Temne” and “Yoni Temne”.

   One of the main differences culturally between the Temne and the Mende is that Temne people are often smarter in business and they place a higher value on education. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but the Northern part of the country is more developed than the south.

  It is amazing how some words can have different meanings, or be used in such a different ways! One example that comes to mind is when you hear someone say, “I am coming” you think that they are coming right then. Well when a Leonean says “I dey come” he means that he will be coming at some point, not necessarily at that moment, more along the lines of “I am returning”!

  Some other word differences are words like Cookie. These are all called “biscuits.” Actually even a cracker is called a “Biscuit” so you must specify if you want a salt or sweet biscuit!

Girls braid their hair; here it is called “planting.”

  We use the word happy; here it is “Gladi” which I actually like!

  To ask if someone knows something, or understands you, you ask if they “Sabi?”

Peanuts, are called “groundnuts.”

To tell the kids to stand, you can either say “Greap” which is a run together form of “Get up” or you can say “Timap.”

  To tell the pekin to stop playing you would say “Lef for play.”

   To end here is just a sampling of Krio from John 11:25-27!

Jesus say to ram, I am de resurrection en de life: who da believe in me, even do E be don die, E go get life: En anybody so for get life an believe in me E no day die. You believe dis? E say to ram, yea Lord: I believe dat thou art De Christ, God En pekin, way for come na de world.

  Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for praying!!

Aimée (Nyadavo)

1 Corinthians 13:1

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels,

and have not charity,

I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment