Monday, January 6, 2014

January Update

  It has been a pleasure to be able to meet and get to know believers in Sierra Leone. What I would like to do is tell you a little bit about some of the people I have had the privilege to meet in Baomahun.
Alfred and Family


The pekins down front are (L to R) Yoseph, Elizabeth and Julius

With Fanta and Alfred in the back!

Alfred and family live just across the way from the Holt’s and from the bunkhouse; I get a very clear view of the goings and comings at their house. I often get caught spying on the neighbors!

Alfred has gained such an understanding of the word of  God, and is able to teach it well, in such a way that his audience should have no trouble understanding the truth he is preaching. It is a joy to be able to listen to him preach.

Alfred has been helping me learn the Krio, so I am able to teach and be understood by the Pekin (Children) without the need of a translator, at least most of the time! He has an excellent grasp of English, which he reads and speaks very well and is a fun and amusing teacher of Krio, as well as some Mende!

The other day I was able to go with Alfred on evangelism in a village near Baomahun. While much of what Alfred said, I could not understand, as he was speaking in Mende, the love of his Saviour was evident in his manner of presenting the Gospel to the people!


Fanta, she makes the best Ground Nut Soup! Your mouth will be mildly burning the rest of the day, but it is very good, and I would eat it again any time she makes it. I have had other variations of Ground Nut Soup. Fanta’s wins hands down.  Fanta keeps her house and Pekin, neat and clean. She almost always has a smile, she is just very, very sweet!

Yoseph, there are times I want to throttle the poor boy and other times I want to hug him to death. He can be one of the best kids in Sunday School, or he can be the absolute worst! He is a ball of energy and just has no direction of to how to control it. But I love the kid! Some days he will yell "Hello" to me from across the way, and like his mother, he usually has a smile! At the moment his is a toothless smile, which makes you love him even more! If a flannel graph piece falls down during class he is the first to jump up and pick it up for me, and often instead of going out fast after church, he will stay and help me put things away.

Elizabeth, oh Elizabeth! She is the Princess in the family, and she knows it! She is about 4 years old, and this is her first year to school. She is often tired, and so regularly throws a fit or two. She is mischievous, and likes to get Yoseph in trouble. The two cannot sit beside one another or across from one another in Sunday School, because they feed off one another and then are both in trouble!! Because she is so small, she is often called simply Pekin. I must say I like Elizabeth!

 

All hail Prince Julius!! Just over a year old, Julius or JM as most people call him is the Prince Royal for sure! Many mornings start with Julius crying, because he is still tired, or not getting his own way, which is often followed by the shout of “Sing Julius Sing” from a source, which I will not name! But it is not me and it is not Laura! J 

 Julius likes to be held by Bro. Stephen during the song service in Church, but then returns to the nursery/Sunday School area, to either cry, play, nap or try to escape. Occasionally he will come and help me teach, or at least be held so he cannot try to escape anymore!! J

So, that is a quick glance at Alfred’s family. Please remember to pray for Alfred that he would continue to grow, and that his focus would remain on his Saviour, and not swerve to anything else. Also, pray that his family would each see their need of a personal Saviour.
 
 

 

Some pictures of life here.....
 
 

The dawning of a new day in Baomahun


Tendabu boys (final day of class)



While waiting for a motorcycle chain to be fixed

I entertained the kids, in a small village near Lunsar, by taking pictures!
 

The crew headed for Freetown. It was Sunday afternoon naptime!


St. George’s Cathedral, Freetown

 
EOCs in Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa

 

1 Thessalonians 5:23 

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly;

And I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body

Be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment